The Southside Community Center, Inc. in Ithaca, NY is seeking an Executive Director to begin in early September 2019
The Southside Community Center, Inc. represents a historic and present space that has been building Black community to foster self-love and collective pride for 85 years.
We teach a Black Conscious Curriculum that empowers the voices and independence of emerging youth leaders, offer critical services to community members in need, and honor our collective humanity. We have recently received national funding for our transformative arts and empowerment initiatives centering Black Girls, especially. We are seeking a skilled, self-directed, and innovative leader who will be mission and purpose driven. The Executive Director must be prepared to revolutionize the financial and programmatic stability of the agency, while modeling for regional and national replication.
Responsibilities & Skills
The Executive Director is the key management leader of the Southside Community Center. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for finances, staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its Mission & Purpose.
Leadership & Management
- Actively engage and energize staff, volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, community members, local leaders, and funders.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Work cohesively with Board of Directors & provide monthly reports; serve as ex-officio of committees; seek and build engagement with strategic direction.
- Support Operations Manager with developing, supervising, and retaining high-performance program directors.
- Ensure effective systems to track and regularly evaluate programs, so as to measure successes that can be communicated to the board, funders, and the Ithaca community.
- Establish a local, regional, and even national presence on behalf of the agency.
Fundraising & Communication
- Oversee Operations Manager & Administrative Assistant in managing finances.
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs operations and expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of public communications – from our website to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner broad-based support of the agency’s mission and purpose.
- Ability to work collaboratively; inter-agency and inter-generationally with diverse populations
Qualifications & Requirements
- BA/BS required; Masters preferred (All finalists will be required to submit an official college transcript).
- 3-5 years senior management experience; track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based organization and staff
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- 3-5 References will be required of finalists
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae by Friday, July 26th, 2019 by 11:59 PM to the attention of the Chair of the Southside Community Center’s Executive Director Search:
Dr. Nia Nunn, via email (EDsearch@sspride.org).
Anticipated Start Date: Early September 2019
Fulltime Salary: $80,000 including benefits
Performance Evaluation: After 6 months and annually thereafter
OUR PURPOSE STATEMENT
Guided by an Afrocentric philosophy of bringing people together, creating, and maintaining a village, Southside is the place that many call home. We are building Black community to foster self-love and collective-pride. We teach a Black Consciousness Curriculum that empowers the voices and independence of emerging youth leaders and honors our collective humanity. It is our vision that this work will help interrupt internalized racism and breakdown structural barriers. By responding to the ever-changing needs of our national and local community, We are committed to honoring our mission and fostering resilience through programmatic resources, cultural events, and additional opportunities that highlight…
Consciousness Raising & Political Awareness
- Performing & Visual Arts
- Food & Nutritional Justice
- We Are Building Black Unity & Y’all Can Come Too!